Tuesday, 8 November 2016

Karolina shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Karolina?

I answer this question 17 months later. I thought I had to come up with a clever answer.
Something special or unique. The more I thought about it, the less I knew what to say.
I found your email today, and tried to get to the bottom of this.

I like the materiality of it. I started shooting black and white most of the time, because I like to develop the pictures in the darkroom and having artistic control over the outcome, if needed.
I love to put in the effort in the dark room. This in turn forces me to take my time shooting one specific frame. I also point and shoot of course (it's fun).

The series I decided to send you is different.
It's a colour film shot and developed in a standard lab around 2003.
The film came out ok, except for these three frames.
At first I had a feeling of indifference to them, then it turned to dislike, altough I can't remember why.
Five years later I went looking through my old pictures, when I found them hidden inbetween youth and adolescence, unfocused selfportraits and dreamy landscapes.
How had I forgotten those?

Putting all things aside, it really comes down to two things (I advise to try):
First, savour the moment, take a breath before you hit release. Second, give your pictures time to be seen with a different, grown mind. Go through your archive.
Maybe you will turn to pictures, you haven't considered good enough a few years ago.

Here are three more photos from the series mentioned above: one, two, three

You can see more of Karolina's photos on Flickr.




LagreLagre

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails