Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Wednesday dinner fail

Planned to have some kind of white fish for dinner; bought some nice cod fillets for the purpose. Planned to serve it with a little bacon, a mash of celery root, parsley root and parsnip plus roasted carrot sticks with sesame seed oil. 

But then meatballs happened. And Sara asked for gingerbread cookies, to which I said yes. And then we had ice cream before dinner. This has happened before when I'm to make white fish for dinner. It's not my favourite and I get so uninspired! 

So, please help me; what are your favourite ways to make white fish?


  1. Hi Astrid! My favorite way to make white fish is "Provence-inspired": I put the fish on a bed of sliced onions, top it with slices of tomato, lemon, and back olives plus a generous sprinkle of rosemary, thyme, salt, black pepper and olive oil and bake it in the oven. Then I like to serve this with potatoes or rice.

  2. Akkurat nå: Denne!

    Takk for fin blogg, forresten!

  3. Crème fraîche, onions, apples? An option? I think it is a receipe from French Normandie, but I forgot the name...
    OR; always a winner for the kiddos: tomato sauce.
    Or just fried with butter, salt pepper, lemon....

  4. My tip is to bake it in a foil parcel.

    I love to buy whole fish, already gutted and scaled, and just chuck it in the oven with garlic, lemon, rosemary and oil in the guts.

    If it's fillets then you can wrap them in a foil bag with onions, tomatoes, olives, garlic and rosemary - oregano, and oil, and put it in the oven as well.

    Or you can go asiatic with ginger, spring onions, cilantro leaves and chili.

    I remember an episode of River Cottage where Hugh had different styles of making it. The basic is - wrap it in a bag of foil with different spices and flavour and let the oven do the hard work.

    Plus, if you bake it in foil, most of the smell will stay inside the parcel and you won't have the nasty fish smell in the house ; )

  5. PS: found the episode!

  6. This recipe is great - . I really like fish, mostly any kind of fish, so to me it's good even just boiled in water with salt. :) I made a quiche yesterday for dinner to use a pack of puff pastry I had in the fridge and used fish too. I sauteed some leeks, poached salmon, laid them on the quiche base and covered with a mix of eggs and milk and sprinkled it with a tiny bit of grated gouda. It worked out really nice with a salad on the side. I think with white fish it might work out fine as well!

  7. Kokt sei med eggesmør med dill, revet gulrot og mandelpotet :)

  8. I think it's great broiled with lemon juice and salt.
    Simple and tasty!

  9. Hei Astrid!
    Here you have my favorite way to cook white fish fillets:
    1º Marinade the fillets, for five minutes, in lemon juice, sliced garlic and a little sea salt.
    2º Dry the fillets with cook paper and pass them threw flour. Shake the flour, in excess, from the fillets.
    3º Beat 2 or 3 eggs with finely sliced coriander. Use a fork to beat the eggs.
    4º Involve the fillets with the eggs and fried them in oil, not very hot.
    5º Put the fried fillets in cuisine paper, to absorb the oil.
    6º If you still have eggs make a little omelette
    7º Serve with coriander rice and lettuce, onion and coriander salad.
    I hope you and your family will enjoy this meal.


  10. My favourite fish curry is this Meen Moiley - tastes great, is easy to make, and you can make it mild for Sara.

    Also, I like to make a kind of Bacalao-inspired dinner with white fish, with a can of tomatoes, onion, carrots, olives and some herbs if you have. You can add whatever vegetables you have at hand, a great way to use leftover veggies. Serve with potatoes, rice or just bread.

    A third option is a good carrot or tomato soup with white fish - easy and yummy! My favourites: and I usually make the tomato soup the night before.

  11. Fish tacos!
    Tortilla, hvit fisk, avocado, hjemmelaget tomatsalsa, lime og koriander.



Related Posts with Thumbnails