Monday, 9 March 2015

my tomato soup



I promised my friend Hanne ages ago that I would share this recipe with her. Finally, here it is!

A good tomato sauce is the basis of so many delicious meals; everyone should have a good tomato sauce recipe in their repertoire. Slight variations of this recipe (depending on what vegetables are in the fridge) have become my go to tomato sauce.

I use this sauce both as a thick tomato soup (most often served with grated parmesan, fresh ground pepper and buttered bread on the side), sauce for various pasta dishes and sauce for pizza. Sara loves it mixed with some whole grain macaroni or fusilli.

For extra depth, flavor and nutrition, I use red lentils, carrot and celery root in addition to tomato, and of course onion and garlic.

I’m not very good with exact measurements when it comes to my own recipes, but I still hope you understand where I’m going with this. The sauce freezes well.

2 cans of canned tomatoes (I prefer Mutti)
1 chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 chopped carrots
celery root that equals ca. the same amount as carrot
1 dl of red lentils
a little bit (1-2 dl) of water, or cream if you want a milder taste
a stock cube/fond cup
salt, pepper and sugar to taste

Fry onion and garlic in olive oil. Add chopped carrot, celery root and lentils. Add tomatoes, water/cream and stock cube/fond cup. Boil for ca. 30 minutes with the lid on, then puree. Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste.

Yield, as soup with nothing (like pasta or hard boiled egg) added: ca. 3-4 grown ups

5 comments:

  1. I use almost the same recipe for my tomato soup - it's SO delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeg skal gi linser i tomatsuppa et forsøk. Det høres veldig godt og mettende ut ut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious, I like the red lentil touch. It's great to read your food posts again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delish! Might have to give that a go myself! Thanks Astrid

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails