Thursday, 23 January 2014

thoughts on blogging about my baby

Mogen, Hardangervidda, August 2013 | Fuji Superia 200, Canon EOS 500N

There has recently been a debate (again) in Norwegian media about wether or not parents should post photos/videos of their children in social media. Psychologists warn parents, especially mom bloggers, to be careful of what they post, because children can be bullied because of things posted about them.

When I got pregnant with Sara, I knew I would be restrictive about sharing too much. This is what I wrote back then:

When I post photos of myself, Sølve or my family/friends we have agreed to it; we know what it implies to have our photo posted online and we are ok with it. When (or if) I post photos of our baby girl, she will not be able to agree to it. At some point she will be old enough to have an opinion on this (hopefully based on her parents’ thoughtful guiding) and she will have an online life of her own. I don’t want to put her in an awkward/embarrassing position because of everything I posted about her when she was a baby/toddler/kid. I will probably post a few photos of her, but I’m guessing they will mostly be “Flickr friendly” (photos that have a human touch, but you cannot see or recognize who the person is).

That said, I respect that other parents have a “less restricted” attitude to posting photos of their children. We all have different levels of how edited our lives are online.

I still have the same view on the topic. I limit the number of photos I post of Sara. There are a lot of really great photos of her/us that I would love to share, but I restrain myself. Sometimes I feel that I share too much. Since I blog with my full name, photos of Sara show up if I Google her. For some reason, I kind of don't like that. I guess, like probably all other parents, I have that fear in the back of my head what might happen to the photos. Yet it is not something I think a lot about. 

On the other hand, it feels natural to share photos of Sara because she is my darling daughter and she is such a huge part of my life. And as you know, I love sharing glimpses of my everyday life. I hope that Sara, when she is old enough to Google herself, will feel fine with what I have shared of her life on the Internet. On a different note, it will be really interesting to see what social media is like when she is old enough to Google herself. 

Thanks Ingvild for the inspiration to write this post. PS: thoughts on sharing my everyday life 

I'm interested to hear, what are your thoughts on this? 

7 comments:

  1. I read your blog regularly and love it! It is art to show everyday life and simple things in a way you see them. And you are perfect to me in achieving balance in sharing your privacy with us - your readers and protecting your family and Sara.
    Anna from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're thinking about this! If I were lucky enough to have a beautiful child like Sarah, then I can imagine wanting to post, in a limited way, some lovely photos. My family lives on the other side of the world, so even more reason I would want to. Likewise, I love seeing photos of my friends' children as thy grow and discover the world. The few you do post are gorgeous, and I really appreciate them. It makes me want children, even if I don't and maybe cannot have them. So thank you! If she were my girl, at 2 years of age I'd consider showing photos without her face?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very interesting to read your thoughts about this topic. Since I'm going to be a mum myself soon, I need to reflect upon this, too. Today I plan just to post photos with some "parts" of my baby, but we'll see how my blog will develop in the next few months. I love your blog, Astrid, and I like the photos of Sara you're posting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really an interesting topic. When my son was born 2-3 years ago I had about the same view on the topic as you did. I was going to restrict the amount of photos of him on social medias. But as it turned out... he was the most beautiful creature I've ever seen... so more and more portraits sneaked their way out there. Until I took a final decision just a week or two ago and cleaned up and removed all the portraits and the picture that revealed his face and/or identity. I've never revealed his full name on internet either, btw. Just called him E. So nothing comes up on him on Google. As I wrote on my Instagram: "Despite being the most beautiful person in my life I've decided to delete all identifying photos of my son on social medias, blogs etc. (The few I had.) After long considerations and wavering back and forth it just don't feel right. My job as a mother and adult is to protect." I don't know what the internet will be like in 10,15 or 20 years from now. Maybe it doesn't make any difference. Maybe it do, a lot. I don't know. But I don't want the take the chance, on his behalf. It's not worth it. He's still the most beautiful person on earth! :-) And as you said, I still respect other people's/parents choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops I mean Sara* (no h). I appreciate when people spell my name correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the other day that one blogger will now stop posting photos of her oldest child, now that he has reached a certain age, of self-awareness I guess. I do not have children but I think a thoughtful, conscious, honest ruminating on this issue is so wise. I personally do not share photos of my loved ones or even my dog - for me it is a line I'm not comfortable to cross, but it does feel weird or misrepresentative that there are no images of those who are actually the most important to me. But in the end I'm ok with that because a blog is never a full picture of our lives and hearts anyway and I choose that privacy for them and me. But your sharing is beautiful too because it fosters a genuine connection. A complicated web of decisions and considerations that really can only be made by each individual and I respect whatever take people have on their own blog. I think it's important to not criticse either way - sometimes people make fun of me for my private approach but I think it's really important to not just follow the perceived norm or trends if it doesn't feel right to you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails