Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Ansel shoots film

Why do you shoot film, Ansel?

When I first started making photographs, there was only film. In 2005 I started to work more with digital, and I currently use digital for a much of my professional work because of the efficiencies. But digital started to feel a little like fast food to me, and in 2008 I made a conscious effort to return to shooting more film when I could. In 2009 I started shooting medium format film. When I shoot film, my photographs seem more resonant and thoughtful. The images I make with film seem to have more life and presence. There is more wonder and mystery and it shows in the work and that's why I became enamored with photography in the first place. And I think that makes all of my work better. I still shoot film because it sharpens my abilities and keeps me in the moment. Knowing that there is no screen on the back of the camera to double check what I'm doing makes me more careful and confident about my work.

I've attached a film photograph I made last year. It's of my wife on a streetcar in New Orleans. This photograph is very special to both of us. It evokes that moment and the sense of place and our experiences there in a way I don't think digital would have.

You can see more of Ansel's photos on his website, Flickr and Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails