Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Instagram or no Instagram?

some of my most recent Instagram photos

With everything happening over at Instagram these days, I've been thinking maybe I should just opt out. I have already deleted my Facebook and LinkedIn accounts. It feels nice to have less social media stuff to steal my time. 

Flickr - my first true social media love (that is good old Flickr pal Jodi's hashtag) - has a brand new and beautiful app which I think can be a great Instagram substitute for me. The new app makes it possible to upload photos from the iPhone to Flickr - one of the things I have loved about Instagram; sharing photos on the go, especially now that I have much less computer time than before. (If I sit down with the computer during daytime when my baby Sara is awake, she quickly lets me know that she does not approve...) 

Do you use Instagram and/or Flickr? Have you checked out the new Flickr app? What are you going to do with this situation? 

9 comments:

  1. http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780158/instagrams-new-terms-of-service-what-they-really-mean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. I have already read it.

      Delete
  2. Such a hard one. I'm sitting on the fence with this decision. I do however love the new flickr app :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hoping a blogger/photographer I admire would talk about this! I haven't had a Facebook account for a couple of years and I haven't been able to like Twitter no matter how hard I tried. I like life with less social media and it's noise, but Instagram was the first other network I had joined and liked in a long time. But I had started to have misgivings a few weeks ago when I saw the Facebook-isation of it begin! This latest stuff has me deleting old photos from it with a view to potentially deleting my account or only using it to follow friends post 16 Jan. I'm too principled and private to enjoy social media sometimes! :) I still adore my blog for making genuine connections and having control over my content. I've never used Flickr but many photographers I admire seem to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed you've read the Verge one. Have you also seen these ones? http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57559710-38/instagram-says-it-now-has-the-right-to-sell-your-photos/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have not read that particular article, but I got the news.

      Delete
  5. Hello, I don't have an instagram account, but if so, I would quit ASAP. This is just amazing how they use us without any respect...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think people are completely over reacting with this... And as if all the articles (good and bad) weren't enough there are users who keep spreading the terror over on IG telling other people to drop it.

    I have been an IG addict for exactly a year and even though I panicked the first few hours of hearing the news I had to stop and think that most of it doesn't really make any sense. Why would any advertiser waste a tremendous amount of time going through millions of photos on IG? specially when they cannot alter the photo in any way! Extremely unlikely... and why don't people already worry about other users stealing their photos? that's the real danger! Not a few IG authorised companies...

    I don't think there's a real danger of anything. That's just how legal documents should be written, predicting every possibility even if they are the most remote...

    Having blurted all that out, I *love* the new flickr app and it made me go back and use flickr more, but I will keep on using instagram as well.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails