Wednesday, 14 November 2012

black & white randoms

Kodak t-max 400, Minolta SRT 101

I have mixed feelings about shooting black and white film. On the one hand I like the challenge of not seeing the world in colors, but on the other hand I miss the colors. I find that I need to be extra patient when shooting black and white film. I have written a little more about it here

This last black and white film was probably in my camera for about half a year (which is a long time for me), and it has taken me several more months to share some of the images. At first I didn't really like any of them, but they have grown on me. I don't love them, but they are ok. 

What do you think about shooting black and white? 


  1. Gorgeous photos - as always! :)

  2. I think that not every picture is to be shot in black and white. Portraits are great. Most of still life is great. Scenic landscapes are good. But with black and white you have to be more picky as to what you can shoot with satisfactory results, and what just isn't made for it.
    Also - with snowy wintery landscape it makes for very romantic pictures!
    You can have a look at some of my B&Ws here: and here

    Lovely pics - I love your style very much!!

  3. I must say that, with every passing day, I love b&w photography more! The growing number of b&w photos I post on my blog may be the proof! I'm far from mastering it and being pleased with the results I've got so far, but I do love learning how to work with shades of grey and how colours translate into grade of shade!
    PS: Thanks for the link to your friend's blog. I like his work so much that I've put it in my reader almost immediately!

  4. Hi Astrid, I've been reading your blog about a year. I like it for the colors of your photos. I see the world in colors, and I like colors and I love people who can see and show colors in their lifes - this is why I love your blog. I always shoot only colors and see only colors. But my husband is very talented black and white photographer and I must say he sees the pictures black and white and he doesn't see colors! So in my opinion you can see (o feel) the colors or you can see the picture black and white, which means shadows, shapes, composition. Sometimes my husband can make a good picture using our digital camera (normally he shoots film), and he says, the picture is good, but I cannot see it before he desaturate it and shows me again.



Related Posts with Thumbnails