Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Alex shoots film



Why do you shoot film, Alex?

I first started shooting film because my dad never quite managed the transition to digital, so always had a huge collection of analogue cameras around the house that I couldn’t resist fiddling with. Even after inheriting his barely touched digital SLR I have found myself continually turning back to 35mm.

I love everything about shooting film; the consideration behind each shot, the anticipation of exactly what has worked out and what hasn’t, the constant revision and improvement of technique to avoid the horrible disappointment of getting back a terrible roll. I find there is something so much more real and emotive about a 35mm photograph. It truly is the best recorder of an instant in time. This particular shot is a perfect example of that evocative quality for me - it’s the imperfections and technical flaws that give it life, that conjure up the memories and bring to mind exactly how we felt that day.

I shoot film because when it comes to really capturing a moment, I would rather something I cannot retake.

You can see more of Alex' film photos on her Flickr and Tumblr

4 comments:

  1. beautiful, I agree with the last statement especially

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful interview and sentiments.
    film really is where it's at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this >> I shoot film because when it comes to really capturing a moment, I would rather something I cannot retake. << a thousand times this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this moment of stopping the moment in frame.something magic!analogue apparatus he has a beautiful soul.

    m

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails