Thursday, 14 June 2012


I have had three slide films developed lately (yay!), including one of my favorites, Fuji Velvia 100 - which the two photos above are shot with. My regular lab has gone all digital, so I had to find other options for developing and scanning my films. I had this film scanned by two different labs, for comparison. Unfortunately I'm not that happy, which is why I haven't shared any of these film photos with you yet. Neither of the scans look like the negatives. Do I need to start to do my own scanning? Then I will have to buy a scanner first...

Any tips?


  1. Hi Astrid! I scan my own negatives and I have a CanoScan 9000F. I live in Germany and I have no idea, if the model is internationally available or maybe has another name or something like this. You'll have to check that, if you are interested. I'll did a review about it on my blog here. I only tranlated a part of it to english, but if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. P.S. I only scan lomo pics, but I don't think that the results would be any different with more professional cameras.

  2. oh astrid, i feel your pain. i scan my own, but that doesn't make it any easier. i recently got a new scanner (an epsom) after i almost threw my canoscan out the window, and while it is better, i am still getting wildly different results from the same negs. i have a graphic designer / photographer friend coming to stay in a couple of weeks and the poor thing is going to asked so many questions, and might have to fix all the settings on my scanner. i'll let you know if i learn anything!

  3. Oh, yes, I know very well that problem... I don't have a scan eitheir, and I dream about having one... but which one, i have no idea...

  4. I have a CanoScan 8800F and color scans come out awful, no matter how much I fine tune the settings. I gave up and now use the scanner for black and white film only. I have a local lab that develops and scans pretty well, but I always upload their scans into Lightroom to tweak slightly the color, contrast, and temp, as appropriate. You should not consider such adjustments photoshopping or cheating at all, but an integral step in the process. No reason to live with a lab's poor scan when you know how to improve it to be true to the negative.

  5. Oh, I'm with you and Claire on this.. However, if it's any consolation and you're still thinking of a scanner, I find colour slide film much, much easier to scan than colour negative film. I don't do that myself as it's very difficult to get any sort of consistency without being a scanning expert (which I'll never be) but my scanner - an Epson V600 responds far better to positive negs and I can get them pretty close to how they should look without too much pain :)

  6. when i was in uni i scanned most of my own neg. and even then you get very different results and you have to tweak the colour, contrast etc, to get the images to look the way you want them to. because it depends on what film you have used (different film has different qualities, some are daylight balanced and some are tungsten balanced), under what light conditions you shoot and etc...
    if you're unhappy with the results from the lab, let them know how you want the images to look.

  7. Aye. Such a pain. I scan my own just to save some money. I use an Epson V600 and I love it! If you scan on the professional mode, you'll get wonderful results! I would suggest doing any "fixing" on the scanner software, it's not so shabby!

    Best of luck!



Related Posts with Thumbnails