Monday, 10 October 2011

Julien shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Julien?

I remember my first contact with an analog camera - it was in my grandfather's attic and I was about 12 or 13. I was wondered by the discovery of an old German camera. Then, I decided to stroll through many flea markets, looking for beautiful and dusty cameras. I finally decided to take a step when I was 15, buying my first black and white roll of films. I was surprised by my behavior towards photography - each movement seemed so important, each photo was a kind of treasure, each light looked so precious, each click represented a great experience. And what I liked the most was the final moment when I opened the big kraft envelope the photograph from my neighborhood gave me, after having developed my first roll. The feeling of discovering the photos, saying to myself "oh, I had forgotten this! (...)". I had decided to take numerous photos and I could remember memories and great instants thanks to those pictures. Films also represent contrasts, grain, special colors and naturalness.

Love.

Because the way I shoot films and the way I shoot numeric pictures can be really different - both represent two ways of photographing, two ways of expressing this special love for this special art.
From now on, I still feel the same excitement when I take film photographs and wait them to be developed. Each roll is a new adventure and, in my opinion, this is essential to mix the different "faces" photography offers: numeric and analog, black/white and colors, etc.
One year ago, my arrival in the capital made me think that Paris has never been as beautiful as through the lens of an analog camera.


You can see more of Julien's film photos in this set on Flickr.

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails