Sunday, 28 August 2011

more thoughts on sharing my everyday life

I really enjoyed reading your response on my post about sharing my everyday life. As mentioned a few times, I have a few more thoughts to share – mostly replies to your comments. Here goes!


Kodak Ektar 100, Canon EOS 500N

Rita talks about how other people’s lives inspire her to improve her own life (and I am humbled to hear that I have inspired her – and maybe others?). I can absolutely relate to this. I don’t think I have done any actual changes in my life because of something I have read/seen on blogs, but I most certainly keep other people’s images, ideas and words in the back of my mind as small reminders to myself. A reminder for example to try a new recipe, to notice the beauty in a pile of old newspapers or dishes, to appreciate having a garden and a home filled with beautiful light.

Like Jenna mentions, I am most of all reminded to focus on the positives. Doing a daily photo project, like my everyday stories, especially forces me to focus on the positives. Like Alyce says: “Not every week comes wrapped in a bow with lots of photo opportunities.”


Fuji pro 160C, Canon EOS 500N

Lisa mentions that she asks permission from her family and friends before she posts photos of them. I do that too, because I know that not all of them are happy about having their photo posted for the whole world to see. This is also part of the reason why I have developed this style of “Flickr friendly” people photos; photos that have a human touch, but you cannot see or recognize who the person is – like all the photos in this post. I love photographing people but I respect that everyone doesn't love have their photo taken. Most people will agree to these kind of photos though.


Canon EOS 40D

Lisa also mentions posting photos of children, which is something a few of you have asked; what are my thoughts on sharing photos of children now that I have a baby girl coming soon. I have thought quite a bit about this, and I always find debates about this theme very interesting.

When I post photos of myself, Sølve or my family/friends we have agreed to it; we know what it implies to have our photo posted online and we are ok with it. When (or if) I post photos of our baby girl, she will not be able to agree to it. At some point she will be old enough to have an opinion on this (hopefully based on her parents’ thoughtful guiding) and she will have an online life of her own. I don’t want to put her in an awkward/embarrassing position because of everything I posted about her when she was a baby/toddler/kid. I will probably post a few photos of her, but I’m guessing they will mostly be “Flickr friendly”.

That said, I respect that other parents have a “less restricted” attitude to posting photos of their children. We all have different levels of how edited our lives are online.


Kodak Ektar 100, Olympus mju

Snosen comments: ”Your posting rate is impressing, how do you keep up?” Blogging and posting photos to Flickr has become part of my everyday routine. Normally I do it whilst eating breakfast and when I slow down in the evening. I like keeping a regular posting rate as I think (or hope) it will keep you guys coming back because you know there will often be something new here. Then the question is; would I keep blogging if I didn’t have an audience? It is no doubt more fun to share when you have someone to share with. So as long as I feel that all this sharing gives me something in return, I will keep doing it.

Anyway, my secret to keeping up with this daily posting rate is simply to keep each post rather simple and to prepare posts ahead on days when I have time to do so.


Kodak Portra 160vc, Canon EOS 500N

I’m still curious to hear your thoughts on sharing your everyday lives, so keep them coming!

4 comments:

  1. Such a nice post. I really like the part where you write about appreciating the everyday things. I started blogging a couple of months ago and it really helps me to see the fun of daily routines. It's also really nice for me to make a journal. I always tried to do that, but mostley gave up after a few weeks. Having an 'audience' helps me to keep posting. The fun thing is that I studied history, and I am always very interested in the daily life of people who lived hundred of years ago. It's really interesting to give the world a look in to the '2011 daily routines'; maybe it will be used by future historians :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Astrid, for starting the whole discussion. I find it quite interesting, because I´m thinking about this topic for a long time (and decided not to have a personal blog (yet)...).
    Also thanks to Marieke for your comment. I think you´re bringing some new thoughts to the discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. I love your photography. I'm in the middle of a 365-day challenge, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've taken most of my photos on my cellphone (just because it's so hard to stay disciplined with a tiny baby). Next year I'm going to step it up a notch and make sure I bring out my SLRs for these images. I'd like to actually work on my photography instead of just being a tourist in my own life.

    I'm one of those people you mentioned who have a lax attitude about posting pics of me and my family. I don't post pics of friends or extended family without their permission, but we share our everyday life online because we live thousands of miles away from the rest of our family and it is truly a way they can watch our baby grow up with us. I'm OK with this because I write a lot of my posts FOR my daughter, specifically so she can read them some day. I wasn't always like this; up until last year I only shared Flickr-friendly images. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have definitely inspired me! i love the everyday stories series. many of your photos also have a sense of calm that i really love in this hectic world. thanks for continuing to share :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails