Tuesday, 8 March 2011

my favorite films

Kodak Portra 400nc

Kodak Portra 160vc

Kodak Ektar 100

Fuji Velvia 100

Fuji Velvia 100F

Fuji Velvia 50

Rollei Retro 100

A little while ago I was asked by Tippi + Ella what my favorite films are. My favorite color negative films are Kodak Ektar 100, Kodak Portra 400nc and Kodak Portra 160vc. They all have beautiful color tones and fine grain. My favorite slide film is Fuji Velvia (100, 100F and 50) because of it's ability to capture light and the rich, saturated, often blueish color tones. I have not shot a lot of black and white film, but I have found out that I prefer the fine grain of Rollei Retro 100 to the heavy grain of Ilford Delta 3200.

I normally buy my films from Scandinavian Photo and Antonio Stasi plus I do swaps with my friend Mathias in Berlin (I send him Tim Wendelboe coffee beans bought at Kaffemisjonen, he sends me films). I normally have my films developed at Fotoknudsen at Galleriet in Bergen (they scan the films too). Slide films are developed at Foto-Sentralen in Sandnes. So far there are no labs in Bergen that develop slide film. Antonio Stasi told me he will start developing slide film soon though.

Rosa+eple asked me where in Bergen medium format film can be developed. I have so far never shot medium format (I would like to try though!), so I don't know really. Just ask around. I bet Antonio Stasi does.

What is your favorite film?


  1. Ah, Astrid! The pictures are amazing. The second one is my favourite.

  2. Love your election.
    My favorite films are:

    - Müller 200 iso

    - Kokda Portra 400 nc

    - Kodak Porta 160 nc

    - Kokdak Ektar(I've never taken pictures with this film but I love how they look in your photos.
    In April we traveled to Ireland, You recommend me this film in a place with lots of green?)

    - I think I return with the Fujifilm Superia 200. In the past I had bad experience but I think it's a film that offers very good results, especially in nature.

  3. You + Fuji Velvia = Lovely Magic


  4. Right now it is Elite Chrome 100. But I love vodacolor 400 that I buy in Berlin. Have to try Ektar 100, just got one roll.
    I loved this post and your fuji velvia are always wonderful !

  5. Love your captures here, Astrid.

    So far, my favorite film is Kodak Portra 400 NC.

    I have my first roll of Kodak Ektar film loaded in my camera now, so I'm excited to see the results.

    I have also had a good experience with Fuji Superia 400, although I have heard some not so good things about the film.

  6. wow you got beautiful results from the velvia! i haven't had such luck with that one or the ektar.

    my faves right now are just the portras but i am dying to try some fuji astia and provia!

  7. This is great. When I start doing film some inevitable time in the future, I hope to remember this and refer back. Beautiful photos!

  8. I don't know enough about films (even if I was one of the last ones to get a digital reflex).

    I love the photo taken with the Kodak Portra 400nc.

  9. These are so beautiful! I have been looking intently for the past few months for a film camera. Thanks to this post, I will know what film to check out.

  10. Nice nice nice. Organized girls love organized girls´ sets like this! :) If I have to pick up only one I might go for.. Fujifilm Pro 400H.

  11. Tusen takk for svar og gode tips! :)

    Skal se om jeg får prøvd ut noen av disse snart!

  12. such an interesting post!
    until now, I mainly used fuji superia 400 and ilfort HP5, but i just bought a pack of kodak portra 400 vc. and i am waiting for summer to use a kodak ektar 100 film.

  13. I really like the muffin photo! This post is both lovely and informative.

    I haven't shot much film but my favourite so far is Fuji Superia 400!



Related Posts with Thumbnails