Monday, 7 March 2011

Mary shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Mary?

I've only recently begun shooting film again after a few years of pretty much only using digital cameras. For me, rediscovering film hasn't changed too much the way I take pictures, it's been more about the excitement of the end result - the particular grain, depth of tone & hue of film. The whole process of shooting film is more deliberate & considered - starting with choosing the film, camera & lens and ending with the anticipation of waiting to see how a roll has turned out. But mostly I love that particular combination of perfection & imperfection when you get a magical result.

You can see more of Mary's photos on her Flickr and blog.

4 comments:

  1. i agree about the magic - mary's shots are full of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to leave a note to tell you how much I enjoy visiting your blog. My favorite country is Norway (I keep telling my husband if things get any crazier here in the U.S., I'm moving to Ulvik!!) I love Bergen and seeing your shots of that beautiful city make me "homesick". I hope to be fortunate enough to visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I love Mary's photos. They are so rich with color and texture and light...

    The thing that I most love about them, though, and what I think makes them truly magical, is the way Mary creates a moment of calm in her shots that is beautiful and peaceful, but that also echoes the hum and buzz of activity and movement outside the frame.

    I don't know how she does that, but I think it's what sets her photos apart.

    (And makes me want to learn how to shoot film!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. another great one in this series.

    (really love that you do this, astrid.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails