Saturday, 29 January 2011

New York: the things we did not do



Canon EOS 500N, Kodak Ektar 100

We saw Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps last night, and the only thing I liked about it was the location - New York - which reminded me of this post that I planned to write. New York is an amazing city that I would LOVE to go back to. So here are some things we did not do during our visit in October, that I would like to do the next time we visit:

- we spent too little time in Brooklyn (we had lunch at Grimaldi's and dinner at Vinegar Hill House), so I would love to explore Brooklyn much more
- taste Mast Brother's Chocolate
- see Manhattan from a boat, for example the Staten Island Ferry
- a lot of people have recommended the city tour buses, so I think I would like to check it out
- see a Broadway show
- amateur night at the Apollo
- visit jazz clubs
- visit MoMA again (in the morning, when I'm not already filled up with other impressions)
- visit The Met and other galleries in general
- try out even more of Brian's excellent restaurant tips; Momofuku, Shopsins and Katz's Deli
- check out more of the Michelin guide's restaurant recommendations
- have another meal at Pastis, The Spotted Pig, The Standard Grill and Shake Shack (links here)
- visit Eataly
- see the city from above during daytime (we only did it at night)
- have a picnic in Central Park
- just walk the streets and explore
- maybe visit Coney Island
- attend a Sunday service in a Harlem church
- visit the New York Public Library
- maybe do a little shopping...

Any other suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. Take a Central Park bicycle tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeg vil anbefale gospel gudstjeneste på det sterkeste..det er noe jeg har hatt lyst til hver gang..og ikke har fått gjort,før nå sist.( vi var på Brooklyn),en helt spesiell opplevelse:)

    Også lunsj på Hudson hotel
    iskrem på dylands candy bar(rett over bloomingdales)
    frokost på le pain quotidien
    spice marked i meatpack
    brooklyn diner,for "byens beste burger"

    Kjekt å lese dine tips..

    God helg.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS 1 museum in Queens! It's an extension of MoMA and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a pretty good list. if you hit up PS1 in long island city, i would also recommend checking out 5 pointz nearby. if you come during the summer, take the ferry to governor's island and rent bikes to ride around the island. it's not too crowded for riding and the views are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to the city a few times in the last few years so I have input here, for sure.

    Restaurants:
    **My favorite is Balthazar, a French brasserie in SoHo that is beyond compare. It's excellent. Reservations utterly required. Nigella Lawson says every time she'll be in NY, she makes sure to reserve a table at Balthazar. They serve three meals a day, also!
    **I also love the Spotted Pig, and Home restaurant, both in the West Village. Those are my three faves.
    **That said, Di Fara pizza in Brooklyn is a terrific one to experience once or more.

    Activities:
    **I'm an opera fan and the Metropolitan Opera is (I think) the best in the world.* MUST visit.
    **The Met Museum of Art is another must-hit. Even spending a bit of time there and just focusing on a couple of areas is great--because let's face it, the place is too big to see all of on one trip.
    **I agree about seeing jazz shows. Last time I was in the city I went to a little basement jazz club in Greenwich Village, where I was staying, that was full of people and featured great talent and atmosphere.
    **Visit the Conservatory Garden, in Central Park. Beautiful.

    **One last thing, there's a cafe called French Roast that has two locations--the original being on 6th Ave. at 11st St. near Greenwich Village--that serves very authentic Italian espresso drinks (the espresso is roasted in Italy and imported) AND really authentic French pastries like croissants. I think it's open 24-hours but I only went for breakfast, several times. The second location is on the Upper West Side, a nice area.

    When I go back, which will hopefully be late this year (autumn I think, it's so pretty then), I also want to visit the Cloisters.

    *Watch the film Moonstruck sometime, if you haven't, and it'll make you want to go to the Met Opera for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dang! you just made me realize that there are so many things that i missed out on during my trip to nyc in may. must return as well. we had a blast on coney island. we just went for the pure silliness of it all and had a lovely time. the place is an institution. also. highly recommend stumptown coffee at the ace hotel. and williamsburg was our favorite neighborhood, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice.
    elsker å lese tips om NY
    jeg og gubben skal etter påske
    halve gleden er forberedelsene! :)

    ha en strålende kveld
    hilsen
    Åpent hus

    ps - lotteri hos meg om du føler deg heldig! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hei Astrid! I've never been to New York, but it's my dream-trip! I'll use your list when I'll go there!

    Your blog is very nice, I'll be here more often!

    Veronica
    http://stuffveronicalikes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG this makes me want to go back right now!!

    I think you should try DBGB Kitchen & Bar. And 5 Napkin Burger.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails