Monday, 24 May 2010

Tara shoots film

Why do you shoot film, Tara?

first of all, i want to say that i've only been taking pictures for a year or two, so it is all experimentation for me. all a learning process.

but, one reason i've begun to shoot film is that it is a relief from the obsessiveness that grips me when i use my digital camera. i take multiple versions of the same shot, and even though i do love it, and the results, and feel that i am learning from shooting this way, it makes me a little crazy. i sat through several events that my daughters were in, watching it all through the viewfinder, or in instant replay on the display screen, until one time i finally realized i had gotten the shot, but i hadn't seen her walk across the stage to get her award. i'm increasingly turning towards film as a way to relax and enjoy what photography is all about for me in the first place: noticing things around me and being fully appreciative of the moment i am in.

that said, the most important reason by far is that i love the way film looks. digital is so clear and perfect...but it's not the way i remember something or some moment. film looks more like what i see in my head. the softness and the texture of film ironically seem to me more authentic than the clarity of digital. in life you don't get the chance to get every moment perfect. you don't get do-overs. moments are fleeting and you get a chance to capture them, and then they're gone.

You can see more of Tara's film photos in this set on Flickr.


  1. beautiful, tara! i love that bit about life not being perfect, just like film.

  2. So great!! thanks for sharing!



Related Posts with Thumbnails