Monday, 1 February 2010

Courtney shoots film

Why do you shoot film, Courtney?

I shoot film because it forces me to slow down--tempering my I-want-it-now inclinations with some much needed patience and thoughtfulness. Postponement of gratification may be one of my hardest fought lessons. (How many times was I given that speech as a child?) Even as I sat down to write this response, I went to my desk and got out a notebook and a pen instead of typing something in haste.

Beyond that, film helps me learn and grow as a photographer, humbling me with every developed roll and pushing me to try harder. But at the same time, it allows me to relax. Knowing that the shot may never be perfect, I console myself with the anticipation of a little grain, maybe some blur, and the colors that only film can provide. Oh, and did I mention the sound? The click of that shutter? It gets me every single time.

You can see more of Courtney's film photos in this set on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails