Monday, 18 January 2010

Nikki shoots film

Why do you shoot film, Nikki?

I started documenting my everyday life in 2001, when i got my first digital camera. I was inspired by a blogger who was described her daily life in Stockholm and posted pictures of that daily life. I had never seen photography like that before. Most of the personal photos I was exposed to were vacation pictures or wedding photos or National Geographic photos. Photos of Something. Not the little, intimate details of one's life, especially not one woman's life from another part of the world. Daily self-portraits, coffee with friends, changes to the living room, a new pair of shoes- all the "small" moments that make up one's life.

My father-in-law loaned me his old Minolta in 2004, complete with a flash, multiple lenses and filters and other gadgets. Once I saw the results from that first roll, I was hooked on film. I started experimenting with different types of film and different cameras. Black and white! Color! 400 speed! 800 speed! 50 speed! Medium format! Polaroid! The possibilities are endless.

Shooting film has made me a better digital photographer, because I think about light and composition more when I shoot film. I make a lot of mistakes, but I learn from those mistakes. And sometimes, the “mistakes” make the best pictures. The texture and tones of film give photos a romantic quality that I love. On film, the subject is transformed from just a snapshot in time to a moment. Shooting film makes me pay more attention to those moments.

You can see more of Nikki's film shots in this set on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails