Sunday, 29 November 2009


We enjoyed a bit of bright light and a nice cup of coffee.

Sølve made his super yummy 3 hours fish soup on Friday, so on Saturday we had fish soup leftovers for lunch while researching hollandaise sauce recipes for the salmon/asapargus dinner on Sunday. By the way, I have been asked for the fish soup recipe several times, so I have finally made the fish soup master Sølve to write it down - it's coming soon!

We watched the annual Festival of Lights fireworks from our kitchen window. I got out the red tea light holders that are part of our simple Christmas decoration and Sølve put Handel's Messiah in the CD player. Today is Advent Sunday and Christmas is getting closer, so why not start getting in a bit of Christmas mood?

Last weekend we were in our hometown Sandnes and Sølve's parents gave us a box of apples from the garden at Åsly. These kind of apples are perfect for apple cake, so I made my first ever apple cake. I used my mom's recipe but I tweaked it a little, basically coating the apples in more sugar and cinnamon + a little bit of cognac, lime juice and acacia honey (these last things were Sølve's idea). It turned out better than expected. I'm glad there are more apples left so I can make at least another batch.

Sølve is an excellent chef. Everyone who has been to a dinner party at our house knows that. He hardly every opens a cookbook though, but while researching for the hollandaise sauce he came across a recipe for "tall steak with onion" in Norwegian Michelin star restaurant chef Eyvind Hellstrøm's book Enkelt & Perfekt (simple and perfect).

We invited a couple of friends over for a spontaneous dinner party. While waiting for the dinner to finish we had flirtinis in front of the fireplace.

These huge steaks with sweet, roasted shallots and red wine butter were beyond delicious. So was the lukewarm apple cake with Mövenpick vanilla icecream for dessert.

Hama was of course as cute as ever.

I hope you had a nice Saturday too.

PS: I have uploaded a few more photos from the weekend to my Flickr.


  1. That beautiful light was the start to such a lovely Saturday! Thanks for sharing.. I love the way the photographs capture the mood you describe.
    My Saturday involved food and friends too, plus two dogs, so was a good one :-)

  2. Åh, for en deilig helg du har hatt! Hva synes du om boka til Hellstrøm? Det er så herlig med kokebøker!

  3. Snosen - Ja, jeg er godt fornøyd med helgen :-) Angående Hellstrøm-boken (som var en gave jeg knapt har sett i før ;-)); i utgangpunktet er jeg ikke så stor fan av slike typer kokebøker som skal gjøre fancy restaurantmat folkelig. Jeg liker bedre bøker i Gøril Wiker sin stil. Jeg synes matbildene i Hellstrøm-boken er litt kjipe, og det har mye si i en kokebok synes jeg. Ellers har jeg kun erfaring med én oppskrift fra boken - den var supergod - så jeg er i grunnen optimistik til resten av boken ;-)

  4. Ooooh, I need to make that apple cake! Looks like you had a lovely weekend!

  5. For en herlig fotoserie! Flott ide, gjør det gjerne igjen en annen helg:)med oppskrifter;)



Related Posts with Thumbnails