Monday, 9 November 2009

black & white, part I



The top photo is taken by me, the others are Flickr favorites: 1. Untitled, 2. {film.475}, 3. *, 4. 6000012 (8)

When I photograph I see light, shapes and colors. Shooting black and white is therefore very different. As I mentioned before, I shot my first roll of black and white film in Portugal. It made me see things differently. Since I could not capture colors, I focused more on light and shapes. I also took a series of portraits of my friends the day before I left for Portugal (I'll probably show you some of those later), which are my favorites from the roll.

My conclusion after having shot only one roll of black and white film, is that I prefer to shoot people in black and white. People make the images full of life, while other objects may seem dead and dull in comparison. I enjoyed the challenge of thinking differently while shooting, but color film (and digital) is still my favorite. But I don't mind giving black and white film another go.

My friend Mathias has written a little bit about shooting with black and white film over here.

I'll show you more black and white Flickr favorites later this week.

So, tell me, what do you think about black and white photography?

3 comments:

  1. Jeg har også sansen for bilder i sort hvitt. Kontraster kommer så godt fram og lager spenning i bildet. Takk for titten her inne:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like black and white photography. But it's much more challenging than I was previously though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally dig black and white portraits. I can't deny the beauty of Ansel Adams landscapes. I like photographs of pretty coffee mugs on cafe tables in black and white, they make me happy (and remind me of french New Wave: "Photography is truth. Cinema is truth twenty-four times per second." Jean Luc Godard)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails