Saturday, 12 September 2009

Mathias shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Mathias?

I like shooting film because it fosters experimenting, it makes you think more about each shot before you take it, taking into account the film you've loaded, its speed and the constraints set by the camera. But at the same time smaller film cameras like the ones from Olympus or the Lomo LCA make it a real breeze to just shoot without thinking too much, in fact they even encourage you to do so. It's just such a nice way to play with photography. You don't shoot and then post-process, you watch and learn.

Even though I liked film right from the start it wasn't until I got a Holga and started shooting 120 film, that I really started to fall in love with the medium. There's just nothing that compares to holding an acetat sheet of slide film 6x6 cm of size in your hands, not needing a loupe to look at your shots. I also like the proud feeling of finishing a roll, it's an odd combination of accomplishment and the fun you just had filling it with silly or very serious shots.

I love the excitement when I'm picking up freshly developed rolls from the lab, I can't wait to pull out the negatives and pretend to look at them like a professional, being happy like a child to see what I got. Film looks different, film feels different. It's the exact counterpart of what I'm doing for a living. It's just a perfect fit for me, it really got me excited about photography. Without my interest in film I probably still would have no idea how a camera works or what aperture is.


You can see all of Mathias' film shot in this set on Flickr.

1 comment:

  1. i love this answer!

    and of course, we all love those germans :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails