Sunday, 15 February 2009

the cheesecake



I told you on Friday that I was making cheesecake for the first time. We had it for dessert after the 3 hours fish soup yesterday, and even though we were all super full from the heavenly fish soup, it seemed like we all enjoyed the cake. It was easy to make, and had just the right balance between sweet and sour. It won't win the price for the most pretty looking cake though. Maybe the filling should have been more solid and less jello-like, if you understand what I mean.

I haven't eaten cheesecake often, so I didn't really know what kind of recipe would be the most tasty. I know there are hundreds of cheesecake recipes, so I just had to choose one. I used this as basis and adapted it a little. For example I didn't get fresh vanilla pods at my neighbourhood grocery store, so I used vanilla powder instead.

Crust
200 g oatmeal biscuits
1,5 dl sugar
50 g butter

Filling
1 ts vanilla powder
400 g creme cheese
50 g sugar
3 eggs
3,5 dl sour cream

Crust: Stir together crumbed biscuits, sugar and melted butter. Press the crumb mixture evenly onto the bottom of a springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 150°C, until firm and lightly browned.

Filling: Beat all the ingredients together to a even paste. Put it on top of the crust, and bake for 15 minutes at 150°C. Let the cake cool, and refigerate for some hours before serving.

How do you make your favorite cheesecake?

7 comments:

  1. Deilig ostekake, klassisk oppskrift!Gjør ikke noe om den ikke ser superfin ut;)
    Kan også anbefale New York Cheesecake. Oppskrift på detsoteliv.no
    Mektig kake, kan med fordel halvere oppskriften, hvis ikke du vil spise ostekake resten av uken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had cheesecake too. Wasn't handmade by us, but by the local cupcake shop, but it was still pretty good. They add a tiny spritzer of lemon to the filling. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm! Lovely! Can I have a piece? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks super yum! Glad it turned out well, lady.

    My cheesecake filling has eggs in it, and I save the sour cream for the topping. I also bake mine longer; I wonder if that would help with the consistency?

    So many recipes, I guess you'll have to keep trying them all out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah - thanks for reminding me about the eggs. I had 3 eggs in my filling, I just forgot to write it in the recipe. I'll try to bake it a little longer the next time. Thanks for the tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah ha! I knew I saw eggs in the photo, I just wasn't sure where they ended up in the recipe. xo

    Oh, and I never use vanilla beans. I always use extract. Lazy girl. =) So I bet the powder you used tasted just as good.

    PS - You know what this means, don't you? We're gonna bake such yummy stuff when you make it to California!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks amazing! i make mine with a lemon vanilla crust and use lots more low-fat cream cheese and it comes out pretty solid and has a gentle taste... can find the recipe right now on account being away from home :-/ but i do remember that it bakes for over an hour see here

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails