Friday, 29 August 2008

tag your photos

This is a short story about why you should add tags to your photos on Flickr - you might get published. I did! And I bet others have experienced the same, am I right?

The programme manager at The Lighthouse - Scotland's Centre for Architecture, Design and the City - sent me a Flickr mail and asked for permission to use one of my photos from my Scotland trip last year. Of course she could.

Today I picked up the result in my mail box at the office: Where We Are - Design Guide to Scotland's Six Cities, with my (tiny) photo from Beauly on page 104. The book is really nice - great design and paper quailty.

I got an invitation to the launch party, which said the following:

“Where We Are” features the people and places that are creating Scotland’s new design landscape. Introductions to fifteen of our best designers reflect the increasing success of designers who choose to live their lives and build their design businesses in Scotland. These are accompanied by contributions from design-conscious locals, who know their cities inside out, telling you the unique places to visit, sleep, eat and shop.

The guidebook focuses on design and architecture alongside the strengths and successes of the Six Cities Design Festival 2007 . Created as a practical legacy document, the book promotes the work of the best of Scotland’s designers through a series of insightful essays and photography. It includes opinion pieces on current design issues, profiles of the most original and inventive Scottish designers, full city listings of where to go and what to do alongside detailed maps.

Designed by Marque Creative the book is a beautiful example of what Scottish graphic design companies can produce. Specially commissioned illustrations are included alongside a series of photographs that have been specially sourced and selected from Flickr. These create visual portraits of the cities illustrating the listings which have all been compiled from recommendations received from architecture and design aware citizens creating diverse and personalised selections.

The book is available from 3 September from The Lighthouse shop (online and in-store) as well as all good book stores.


  1. Så utrolig flott! Gratulerer med publiseringen :-)
    God helg.

    Klem fra Cathrine

  2. Wow, i'm going to tag my pictures :)

  3. I also am going to start tagging. You've convinced me. Even if I don't really expect anyone to want to use my photos...

  4. wow. what a fabulous looking book.
    very exciting you're in it!!

  5. Oh my goodness! That's so exciting -- congratulations! The book looks beautiful.

  6. that's such a nice thing to have happened. love your clock by the way :)

  7. that's brilliant astrid! the same thing happened to me a while ago with a couple of my shots being published in a russian in-flight magazine, although i'm still waiting for them to send me a copy.

  8. Congratulations!

    I have generally been very lazy with tagging my flickr photos, but have apparently managed to tag some as a russian travel magazine recently asked me permission to publish one of my pictures from Prague. So it definitely works!



Related Posts with Thumbnails